Strawberry Jam Coconut & Oat Crumble Slice
(Gluten, Dairy & Refined Sugar Free)
Just the right amount of rich biscuit base, gooey chia jam and crispy crumble. You would never know that it is gluten free, dairy free and refined sugar free.
- 2 cups almond flour
- 4 tablespoons tapioca flour
- 2 tablespoons hemp protein powder or flour – We used Nutra Organics Hemp Protein Beauty Berries. (If you don’t have any hemp protein or flour, use 1tbs extra of tapioca flour)
- 1/4 teaspoons sea salt or pink Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup (other natural sweeteners such as honey or agave would also work)
- 1 teapsoon pure vanilla paste or vanilla extract (optional)
- 500g fresh strawberries, rinsed and hulled
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup (other natural sweeteners such as agave or honey would also work)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, hulled, rinsed and sliced
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 cup gluten free rolled oats
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup (other natural sweeteners such as agave or honey would also work)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla paste or extract (optional)
For the Base
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees celsius (fan-forced) and line a 20cm x 20cm baking tin with grease-proof paper.
- Place the almond flour, tapioca flour, hemp protein/flour (if using) and salt into a large bowl and mix to combine. Add in the melted coconut oil, maple syrup and vanilla paste, mix until combined and a soft dough forms.
- Press dough into the lined baking tin. Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes until lightly golden on top. Remove and allow to cool.
For the Filling
- Cut the 500g of strawberries into small pieces or place into a food processor and pulse a few times.
- Place the cut-up strawberries into a medium/large saucepan over a medium high heat. Bring to a slow boil, decrease heat and allow to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chia seeds, stir well, and simmer for a further 5 minutes. Remove the strawberry chia jam from the heat and allow to cool.
- Once the jam has cooled, spread evenly over the cooled base. (We used about 1 1/2 cups of the jam, but you can use more or less) Layer the remaining 1 cup of sliced strawberries over the jam.
For the Topping
- Using an electric mixer, whisk the eggs, maple syrup and vanilla paste in a large bowl until fluffy. Add the rolled oats and desiccated coconut and fold into the egg mixture with a spatula.
- Spoon over the filling, spreading out to the edges.
- Place in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown. Leave to cool in baking tin then cut into slices and store in the refrigerator in an air tight container.
Enjoy as they are or serve with whipped coconut cream for a scrumptious, yet healthy, dessert treat.
Note: You can easily make this slice paleo friendly by substituting the oats for flaked almonds or something similar.